cabbage salad

I wish I wasn't so forgetful. It's all too easy for me to forget about certain ingredients that I really like and to think that my meals have become rather boring, without realising that for some reason I'd just completely forgotten that things exist out there that I like to eat but haven't bought for a while.

Today, I had even forgotten about something I had bought from the shops - a cabbage. I really love cabbage. Someone had better keep reminding me of this, though, as the humble, self-effacing vegetable has a habit of disappearing from my diet. This particular cabbage I bought a few days ago because I had bought some real sausages at Whole Foods in New Orleans and I remembered that cabbage and sausages go rather well together. Then I put it in my fridge, ate nothing but toast and pasta for a few days and forgot about it...until today I got out those sausages, wondered why I didn't have anything to go with them, rooted around fruitlessly among old potatoes and turnips, and then a little lightbulb went off above my head.

Ah, the absolute bliss of that first mouthful of finely shredded raw cabbage, tossed with lots of lemon juice, a little olive oil, salt and a sprinkling of caraway seeds. I intended only to have a taster and eat the rest with the sausages (which as I write are sizzling in the pan) but it tasted too good and I have just polished the whole lot off. Welcome back, cabbage.

Comments

Archive

Show more