Today I will simply pass on to y'all the wise advice of my mother regarding miso paste.

"You talked about the lack of miso paste, so I decided to send 1. light coloured miso paste, sweeter and lighter 2. dark one, which is stronger tasting, more powerful. In Japan, there are so many kinds of delicious miso paste from all regions, and people treasure the difference, and blending them to suit the materials and cooking is a bit of expertise. So, when you like to use those, experiment the blending. Rough guidance is: When you like to use in soups, as miso soup with vegetables ie beans, okras, carrots, potatos, parsnip, leeks, pumpkins, and tofu (I don't think you have this there...), wakame seaweed etc. use lighter one with tiny bit of dark mixed. If when you like to do so called substantial meaty miso soup, as chicken bits added to vegetable mixture, or fish of some kind, use darker one with some lighter one. It erases too fishy or too meaty feel. Always just when you serve, sprinkle on it (not stir in)something fresh, as finely chopped spring onion, julienne of leeks, very finely sliced skin of lemon (well, if it is unwaxed), perfectly speaking of course 'yuzu' orange (I so miss this!). With meat or fish, ginger grated mixed at the last moment is good of course.

"Both soya sauce and miso are very tricky customers and the quality of cooking goes DOWN so much because of the misuse of those, which is usually the case unfortunately so often happening in Japan itself. Too much, too salty, too noticeable way of using soya sauce, when it is better very subtly enhancing the cooking, for instance. If you could tell me what kind of soya sauces are being available there, I could tell you more.....

"One thing which is very important you have to remember about miso paste. 1.When you like to use it, ALWAYS LOOSEN the mixture in warmish water, as if you are making soup, scoop a bit of soup liquid into a bowl and mix miso paste until smooth. Then pour that into the soup and heat it up BUT NOT BOIL. You take off from heat, just before it boils. Then all the lovely flavour of miso you do not lose (this was taught by my mother very strictly!). 2. Use it not too much, it is deceptively salty, and it should not be ever felt SALTY. You'll find out soon, if you start very gently, from small amount!"

Dearest mother, I do have tofu here (I don't know why they stock it in even my local supermarket, though not a very superior brand I'm afraid) so I can't wait to receive my miso paste parcel from you. Thank you!

Comments

Archive

Show more