roast chicken

Roast chicken, ah, the comfort food of all time. Actually, I meant to cook this yesterday but my kitchen is so damn cold that the thing hadn't defrosted at all by the time I needed to cook it...so it was my Friday night dinner (yup, it's a happening social scene here) tonight. But, to echo so many good food writers (Nigel Slater, Simon Hopkinson, the somehat dreaded Nigella) what is better than a straight-up roast chicken. I had some tarragon that I'd bought fresh and dried to stuff under the skin, some potatoes, garlic cloves and carrots to stick in the pan with it and a lemon up its ass. Heaven. And I get leftovers tomorrow. And I get to make stock, and already I can't wait to eat the risotto made with the stock.

On a side note, this is one of the funniest expressions of American eating I'ved read recently. What people eat for breakfast in this weird country. Cheese quesadillas? bagels with cucumber and cream cheese? Pepsi and cigarettes? hello America, wake up and be a freak. I'm always really bad at breakfast, except on the weekends where I'm totally English (baocn and eggs, etc etc. Kippers if I'm lucky.) In London this always meant I would spend a ridiculous amount of money on coffee and gorgeous croissants from somewhere like Monmouth Coffee. Here, it means if I'm lucky (or going straight to site in the morning) I have toast and peanut butter, a glass of orange juice (or water with soluble Vitamin C if I'm out/hungover) and tea. If I'm not lucky, or I'm going to studio first thing I get a bottle of water and an 25 cent granola bar from GBs Mercantile. It's about the healthiest thing on offer, as moonpies on an empty stomach don't really ever appeal.

Comments

Jodie said…
You had roast chicken. I had portobello mushrooms stir fried with onions, peppers, and shrimp. Yum...

Archive

Show more