Pseudo-paella

Well, what was I to do with my new saffron when I got home from work today? given the absolute lack of seafood for sale in Greensboro, much less anything to make an osso buco to go with a saffron risotto, it was to be a pseudo-paella concocted out of what I could find: some chicken, some prawns, my cherished risotto rice, red peppers and so forth. Plus, of course, my fish stock that had been waiting in the freezer for just such a moment. And although rather scratch, it was pretty good, nourishing to look at and to eat, warming and faintly luxurious for a weeknight solitary meal (I made enough for about four people, so that's my leftovers lunches for a week). Yum. And now my big barnlike 'house' smells deliciously of saffon, too. I guess, with my housemate returning from a week working on the Gates Project, saffron is the flavour of the moment.

Comments

Archive

Show more