Singing

Yet again, in band practice this evening I was asked if, really, wouldn't I sing just a bit? I answered, as I always do, that no, I have a voice like a crow and haven't sung in public since I was around 11 and in the school carol service.

But singing is in the news rather a lot at the moment, what with funding announced specifically to get kids in schools to sing more. And as this commentator says, why stop there? don't we all like singing, secretly, even if we think we are terrible at it? It is relaxing, cathartic, healthy.

I'm sure one of the reasons I love going to the Arsenal is because I get to sing at the top of my voice with lots of other people and no-one worries about their vocal qualities. As Liverpudlians will say there is no greater sound than the Kop choir singing 'You will never walk alone', I will claim there is nothing that equals the Arsenal 'library' suddenly roaring to life as a chant starts up and ripples round the ground until in seconds the whole place is magnetically alive with sound.

And even in my own home, if there is no-one around, I will attempt to pathetically sing a few notes along to the guitar I am currently trying to relearn or, even worse, to my guilty musical pleasure of early Britney Spears, to the torture of the boy. Yet put me in a karaoke-like situation and I run a mile, let alone on stage where I stubbornly stay mute.

There have already been threats by the band to force me to get over it. I'm terrified, but somehow secretly, I can't wait.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't remember, maybe it was Lachenmann - something about not trusting the voice that sings... sirens etc... hmmm - I know you like opera, really, you should check 'Das Madchen mit den Schwefelholzern' - it's fantastic... If you put it on your wish-list, i'll be tempted...

Archive

Show more