In brief: Canning Town, BSF, Ken, competitions

Erick van Egeraat has won the masterplanning job for Canning Town Centre. I worked on stuff there for the UDC a while back, and I have to say I am a bit disappointed by the choice. Not that I would have rather EDAW et al got the job, but the perma-tanned E is - well - a bit too flash.

Surprise, surprise, BSF is behind schedule.

Ken is using his powers to stop Tory-controlled Hammersmith & Fulham approving a scheme without sufficient affordable housing. In a typically good bit of rhetoric, he said "This Christmas H&F has had more than 2,000 homeless families living in temporary accommodation, yet it has decided to cut back on...homes for these families. Hammersmith's actions have the stench of Shirley Porter's regime at Westminster Council in the 1980s." Lovely local journalism about this here.

And in a spate of competitions for the new year, there's one for a new British Embassy in Tbilisi, Georgia, and the one I want to do - new homes for Letchworth Garden City.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello Hana -

I just ran across your blog. I'm a big fan of interdiciplinary studies myself and also a big fan of Sambo's Rural Studio.

I look forward to reading your content!

~R
Anonymous said…
Erick van Egeraat is a bit flash, yes. However, the current master plan is dull, to say the least and I believe Erick's team will breathe a breath of fresh to it. EDAW have their strengths in many things, but I think we need more creative input in the scheme.
Hana Loftus said…
I agree about the current masterplan, and EDAW. I guess I just think there might also be more creative people than EE around who are a bit more - well, sensitized to the uniqueness of the place itself and able to build on that.

Archive

Show more