smoked mackerel 'pate', grilled squid, red peppers and rocket, baked seabass with wild mushrooms, swiss chard and potatoes with parsley, etc...

The first 'real' meal that I have cooked since returning to the UK (for which the shopping in the previous post was in aid of) came off well and was real fun to do. The joy of cooking for a dinner party when it's not squeezed in to the hour between getting home from work and everyone arriving. Take your time, be organised, set the table, don't forget anything, change your clothes...



The menu was as follows: to nibble on as a 'starter' (knowing all my friends to be perpetually late, making them all wait for the latest person before sitting down to eat is not an option), a smoked mackerel 'pate' (cheat's version), sourdough toast, grilled marinated baby squid with grilled skinned peppers and rocket. The cheating 'pate' is an instant version that I happened upon while combing the fridge one day for something tasty and instant and it's actually rather good. You shred smoked mackerel with a fork (discard the skin) and mix with a decent amount of sheeps yogurt, some lemon juice, finely sliced spring onion and plenty of black pepper. I sprinkle chopped parsley on top to reassure those who don't like their breath to smell of onions as the pasley magically neutralises the smell. The joy of this dish is it's really light and (dare I say it) healthy, yet full of flavour and very fresh.



After, it was a baked seabass with a wild mushroom 'sauce', boiled potatoes tossed with coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsely (somehow this makes all the difference to 'boring' potatoes both in taste and look) and braised swiss chard. The mushrooms (a mix of girolles, porcini, and 'cheap' chestnuts) were really a treat for me to buy myself. Stewed very simply with nothing but olive oil and seasoning, they were incredibly fragrant, justifying the extortionate Borough Market price I paid for them.



Then a simple green salad, and finished off with one of my favorite ever cakes - the summer fruits frangipani from Konditor and Cook. I'm sorry, I don't make my own puddings. I'm just not that passionate about sweet things to go to the added hassle. Plus, when at home with friends in a relatively informal way, I'd rather have a really good shop-bought cake or tart to go with coffee as we sit around and gab. Anyway, this one is so far more sublime than anything I could possibly make myself, though I hate to agree with Nigella's quote that is now displayed on all of their literature, that I have absolutely no compunction at my laziness.



Altogether, a damn good meal, sending us out into the night to continue to party at my friend's dj night with happy bellies.

Comments

celia kusinera said…
Hi there, I've been reading your interesting meals for quite sometime and I'm glad you're back here in UK to point me to the great places to eat. :) BTW, that mackerel pate sounds quite delicious I think I'll give it a try sometime.
Cheers!

Archive

Show more