sausage and okra casserole with rice

Every week the Rural Studio provides us with a communal meal generally followed by a lecture or other event, at which everyone ritually complains about the quality of the food. Although I would never claim that it had any great culinary merits, the food that is cooked up by a local woman is rarely truly inedible and I do find the complaints about it slightly unjustified. It's filling, home-cooked and free and to my omnivorous mouth this makes it perfectly acceptable, especially compared to the institutional food I used to get in England (hall food at college, school dinners) which was wholly disgusting in every way, and generally totally processed.



Given my food-related scruples I do find it strange that on this one I'm one of the only people who quite happily fills my plate and scoffs it down. The only thing I can't manage is the horrible American 'salad' that generally also gets served - iceberg lettuce, those weird pre-peeled carrots that look like orange bullets, watery tomato and the worst horror of all, topped with grated 'Cheddar' cheese. The first couple of times I tried to pick out a few bits of lettuce and tomato from the bottom, uncontaminated by the cheese, but this was never wholly successful and now I just resign myself to a lack of vitamins at this particular meal each week.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How close are you to New Orleans? You sound like the kind of person who might appreciate a few good meals here.

I'm with you on the salad, though I'm not sure I'd label it particularly "American." Institutional might be a better term.

In another post you mentioned difficulty getting leeks. Oddly, they're available in most of the "chain" supermarkets here (in New Orleans, as I intimated above) as well as spots like Whole Foods.

Cheers,

Robert ( http://www.appetites.us )

p.s.: Okra is the food of Satan, or at least some minor demon or something. Eww.
Hana Loftus said…
Okra is great. I know, everyone thinks it's slimy. Well, it doesn't have to be, you can just stir-fry it on high heat really briefly and it'll be crisp as you like.

Archive

Show more