roasted salmon, sauted carrots with ginger and garlic, and brown rice

Yesterday being the Pig Roast it was a round of typical Alabama fare - catfish and BBQ pork. If you are confused, the roasting of a pig is usually done only at the summer Pig Roast, where it is the responsibility of the second year students. After my total immersion, I think I am finally ready for a change from Southern cuisine despite its many virtues, and have started fantasising about going back to London and blowing a lot of money on food. St John...the Wolseley (where my cousin is currently cooking)...salt beef bagels...real coffee and croissants from Monmouth Coffee...free range meat from Borough Market...beautiful fish in Suffolk...



The problem is that unless catfish and BBQ are done really well, it's easy to get bored. The freezing conditions yesterday meant that the outdoor catfish lunch was barely even lukewarm and cold hush puppies just ain't my cup of tea. Though, would you believe, in honour of a) the Rural Studio's English director and b) the use of newspaper as a building material by one of the projects, they served it all in newsprint cones 'just like in England' (ie, no-one really knew how to fold a fish'n'chips cone and I got to show off. But isn't the point of the newspaper that it has to absord the grease of real chips? not the American kind? Anyway, I digress). Bobby Scott's barbeque isn't bad but I've eaten it twice this week, along with a Mustang Oil BBQ sandwich, and three meals of this stuff is too many for one week. It was with relief that I dug out a piece of wild salmon from the freezer today and cooked myself a real meal with no chalky white bread involved.

Comments

Archive

Show more