what I ate last: I cooked Malay okra curry, Indian beef curry, rice and green salad for friends

So, I have a 'normal' blog but I keep realising that what I spend most of my time thinking about is food. I wonder how many of my 'normal' blog readers may ever find this one. Too few people really appreciate what I think is important about food - improvisation, unpretentiousness, the low as well as the high, none of that crap a lot of food bloggers talk about (overcomplicated/over-domesticated/prissy).



I was brought up with two incredibly good cooks as parents (check out my dad's great book The Pike in the Basement) with a healthy disregard for recipe books. We had loads, of course, and we read them avidly, but as for all that 'take two tablespoonfuls of oil' nonsense, who doesn't know how much oil they need for their particular frying-pan?. Another thing I learnt was that 99% of savory recipes start with chopping onions and garlic.



So, I love food, I need an outlet for my love (and occasional rage), and this is it. Till I start in earnest tomorrow...

Comments

Anonymous said…
FYI: I couldn't get the "Pike" link to work. but maybe it's my browser...

B

Archive

Show more