breakfast

Why when I go to an airport, do I always eat something really wrong and random? I perpetually seem unable to make a rational decision in those circumstances.

When leaving Alabama I'm always craving something I haven't eaten for a long time, and for some reason, the last couple of trips this has meant eating Chinese food in the airport, which is a really bad idea. Both times it has been disgusting. Why do I continue to do this to myself? and on the way back this time, I chose the worst possible sandwich from a range that contained some perfectly reasonable options. Why, oh why, did I go for the 'Cuban pork loin'? in this case, pork loin was simulated by ham+ chicken (I think) and some seasoning, which apparently was meant to evade my notice and trick my tastebuds into believing that it really was the loin of a pig.

Other eating adventures...getting to eat at the River Cafe twice in London, which had me cursing my damn jetlag/lack of sleep as it meant that my stomach felt somewhat over-faced; queasy and not capable of absorbing the amount of food I wanted to give it. Sad but true. I mean, the first time in three months that I eat at a world-class restaurant and what do I order? A salad. And only a salad. It was a beautiful salad, maybe one of the best ever, but still...I did better when we came back after work for a bellini and some antipasti, getting to nibble away at squid, beef carpaccio, asparagus and gulls eggs, and other delicacies. And I got to eat some beautiful cheese and ham of the sort that cannot be found for 300 miles round here. Yum.

I was amazed to see that the River Cafe was not full at lunchtime on a Monday. What are all you London-dwellers doing? They have a lunch deal that is 2 courses for 16 quid - an absolute bargain! Get down there.

Comments

Suebob said…
I think the problem may lie in thinking that you will find anything edible in an airport. I think they must pose a de-flavorizer outside the delivery entrance.

I'm racking my brain for anything decent I have ever eaten in an airport and I can't come up with anything.

Maybe they are trying to ease the transition between the outside world and airplane food.
santos. said…
have you returned to 'bama? i hope to hear of more successful london culinary adventures.