what I ate last: roast lamb, ratatouille, brown rice

I got the rest of my Amazon test-drive food deliveries yesterday evening, after I'd finished dinner, so tonight was their testing ground. Sadly I got them all a bit late due to the parcel-delivering customs in deepest Alabama. These are that when we are not home (which is all of the delivery hours), the UPS man knows to deliver our parcels to Barnette Furniture down the road from where we sometimes get a phone call or, as last night, the owner dropping by to inform us rather than that little piece of card in the mailbox. All very well but unfortunately this time I was informed rather late and my leg of lamb which I was so looking forward to definitely did not benefit from the wait despite its careful packing in insulative foam, cold gel bags and so forth.



Nevertheless, it was still edible, roasted simply, and the real brown rice that I also ordered (good rice being one of my most insistent food rules) was just what I wanted - nutty, crunchy, especially when I accidentally-on-purpose burnt the bottom a little bit. Despite the lamb being past its best, I still find it amazing that a piece of meat can find its way to smalltown Greensboro through the vagaries of internet and UPS and still be even edible. And having not eaten lamb for two and a half months, it was a very welcome taste. The excitement of receiving packages of food through the mail is also unequalled. Amazon does a fantastic job, especially the wishlist service, which yields me surprises from friends and family just often enough. It does feel, as a reader has noted, rather like shopping at WalMart, but at least I don't have to feel guilty about burning up all that gas to get there and back.

Comments

Archive

Show more