what I ate last: eggs, hash browns, sausage patty and biscuit

Eggs in the USA:



For the first time here I ordered eggs. How do you want them? I was asked. 'Fried, please' I answered.



Blank look.



So no-one here talks about fried eggs! and scrambled eggs aren't really scrambled eggs, they're sort-of 'vaguely-stirred-around-while-being-cooked' eggs. And you can't buy free-range eggs anywhere in the Black Belt. I might have to get my own chickens. Though even with the artificially-coloured piggly-wiggly-eggs, last night I did manage to make a pretty good mushroom omelette, all runny in the middle...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Do you want it over-easy or sunny side up ? Always sounded almost rude to me.

But, in the US I did come across a diner which would fry your egg and pt a cup on top to steam it at the same time, which I thought was quite novel for a diner.

B

Archive

Show more