what I ate last: eggs, grits, biscuits, center-cut ham

More good breakfast things today - a late one to celebrate finally getting my driving licence here. The Waysider in Tuscaloosa is definitely going to have a return visit. The best biscuits - fluffy and crisp on the outside and my first real grits. They're kinda weird to have with eggs and ham, as they remind me of pudding, but I got used to them by thinking of Japanese rice porridge which is also a savory dish. But the clientele in the Waysider on this Friday around 10.30am was a real pull. Incongruously groomed old ladies meeting for a gossip over their grits, old couples having a double date: the combination of hearty, inelegant food and twin-sets with Southern accents, with a scattering of the check-shirted working men that you would expect to find in such a place. Sort of like a really old-school London chop house, with that East End gentility bordering on roughness - a kind of Lyons Corner House of America. You could imagine having a great date there at a corner table, with a Southern railroad worker who had picked you up on your way home from teaching elementary school.



It looks like they do a mean lunch menu too - pot-roast, catfish, collard greens and field peas, corn, squash.

Comments

Metromade said…
Uh oh...I think I'll be visiting every day. You sound just like me. Except you're not fat and I am. Really fat. But we're alike in that we won't eat bad or badly prepared food. (Hey, maybe that's the way for me to diet?!)

Today I will have Nachos. I just finished cooking them and there not just your usual. It's all fresh and organic. The only problem was I only had one small tomato and wouldn't go out for more.

Anyway, I'll be watching!

Best to you from NYC, (with more restaurants than I care to visit.)
Hana Loftus said…
Sadly, not eating bad food only works as a diet in small Southern towns with no shops. And then it's offset by the fact that the best restaurant food here is totally high-fat and cholesterol-heavy. NYC, well that's a different story...
Anyone who writes fondly of The Waysider is okay with me! I worked in Tuscaloosa for 12 years, and went there often. I'm linking to you from my blog on Southern eating places (http://meatn3.blogsome.com).

Archive

Show more