After America: Coffee

I just realised that I haven't posted a thing on this blog since I returned from the States. Today I just got an urge to write about one little food-related thing and perhaps it is apt, for my first post-USA post, that it should be on American coffee.

When I returned to England, I had a coffee soon after and it made me go crazy. I hadn't drunk a coffee that strong (and it was only a good filter coffee, not even an espresso) for so long, I got minor palpitations and felt rather light-headed. No wonder those early explorers were excited to discover this new drug.

So I didn't drink any coffee at all for perhaps the first month, instead becoming a very Englihs tea-drinker, with a cup every couple of hours some days. But as my life got busier and I got more tired, I started to consider the amount of caffeine in tea to be a bit inadequate, and began thinking about coffee.

I started having the odd filter from the wonderful coffee house just below my office - but they almost always remained half-drunk although I stopped feeling light-headed from this and they certainly worked, in terms of my alertness. Then, the other day I went to a meeting, was offered coffee and got crap instant coffee - weak and watery. I loved it.

I have a confession to make. I actually like American coffee better than the European stuff. Today, working at home, I've made two pots so far of watery coffee to glug down, like a continuous and mild drip, while I work. It's really great. I feel like a foodie heretic and I'm waiting for y'all to burn me at the stake.

Comments