Roasted mackerel, cherry tomatoes and new potatoes

Mackerel This Friday's Borough Market buys were huge bags of cherry tomatoes (about to go over the edge of saleable) for a pound, and a lovely Cornish mackerel, alongside some black pudding that I had for breakfast this morning and a huge globe artichoke. Mackerel is one fo my favorite fish - some people I know find it too strong-tasting, but I love its gutsy-ness, plus knowing that it's super good for me, being an oily fish and all. And they really are so pretty - the black stripes and rainbow lustre.

Best, in my view, grilled or roasted as here in a hot oven, with oil and salt rubbed into the slashed skin. If you don't want your flat to fill up with fish-roasting smells quite so much, you can also wrap the fish in foil and bake it that way. I put the halved cherry tomatoes in the bottom of the pan at the half-way turning point, and had lovely but large-ish new potatoes sliced into pound-thickness rounds and boiled. Perfect Saturday lunch for salving my rather hungover self, being healthy, fresh, rich enough to be satisfying but with the slight tartness of the tomatoes to cut through, and the plain boiled potatoes adding a pleasingly wholesome touch. And followed, in a fit of greed, by the boiled artichoke - all of it, despite its hugeness - with half a lemon squeezed over it, hot leaves to peel off and suck while tuning in to the afternoon's sport on the radio...

Comments