New skyscrapers in London

Londonist reports on two new proposed skyscrapers - one at Fenchurch Street by LandSecs (replacing what I think is a fairly elegant if not world-beating 1960s highrise with a rather ugly Vinoly building shaped weirdly like a 1980s mobile phone - see picture) and another on the Isle of Dogs by Rowan Asset Management, developers of the nearby Glengall Bridge, which apparently will have a lot of 'affordable housing' in it.

This also has a rather dubious shape by Sheppard Robson. It really is not pretty but also goes right against the development framework set out by the local authority so will need a lot of negotiation to get it through (hence the affordable housing sweetener, I would think).

Comments

Paul Mison said…
I'm glad it's not just me that likes the current Fenchurch Street tower. (I also have a soft spot for Drapers Gardens; that's due to go soon.)

The replacement looks a bit rubbish (although I suppose it makes a good glass and steel accompaniment to the rather dull Plantation Place it'll be next to), although I haven't seen a non-thumbnail picture yet.
Hana Loftus said…
Thanks for your comment! I have soft spots for pretty much every modernist tower block...

Regarding the image, I just get worried about an architect who is willing to let that comic an image go out as publicity material that is supposed to impress...

Archive

Show more